Cast of Characters
This is how I came up with the Stormhold Coven Characters. I created a short character bible below. I haven't illustrated each of their faces. I will--if I decide to write Darkspell companion books staring each side character!
As I wrote Darkspell, and when I reached the part where Alex's coven is introduced, I thought on the importance of making his family interesting. I wanted to give them very special talents--it may sound silly, but I like to compare it to X-men, the school for talented youth where everyone specializes in something extraordinary.
After researching covens, I discovered that 13 people make up a coven. I came up with as many magickal skills to equal that number. It took me an entire day to brainstorm their gifts (not all of them are part of the coven, but I sure liked the sound of that gift!):
Dreamcaster, Moondancer, Allspell, Mindsurfer, Charmer, Guardian, Seer, Shadoweaver, Watcher, Timeholder, Lightweaver, Windcharm, Lovespinner, Wingcharm, Flamecaster, Waterdancer, Stormholder, Songcharm, Windsong, Earthspell, Darkspell
1. Dru: His hair is pitch black, wild but it fiercely hugs his statuesque face. He has a neatly trimmed go-T that makes him look devilish. His eyes are the color of ice and his eyebrows were almost pointed, like Dracula’s. He plots forbidden things for Winter. FLAMECASTER
2. Hanah: She is probably no older than Winter that she could really tell. Hanah is very graceful. Her rich auburn hair is parted down the middle and held back somehow. Her face is pixie-like and her green eyes wide and innocent. Sinister smile. She's defends Winter against her brothers during her first rights. WATERDANCER
3. Natalia: Doesn’t speak. Her hair is long, so long Winter can't see where it ends from the table’s eclipse. It is so blonde it seems white, but it shines a soft blue. Dark brown eyes. She's a shy, quiet person. TIMEHOLDER
4. Wanda: GUARDIAN. The head of the coven. She knows of Winter’s family roots, but never divulges; it surprises Alex that Winter changes. Wanda reminds me of myself, firm, but loving. Wanda protects Winter in such a way that Winter hates her for it.
5. Alex: SEER; brown eyes with green flecks. It is his vision of Winter’s safety threatened by the SW that spurs them there. He is forbidden to share his feelings for Winter and battles internally but finally breaks the rules and tells her.
6. Jareth: DREAMCASTER; black hair and honey colored eyes. He keeps Alex from breaking the rules, but falls in love with Winter himself, he pushes Alex to madness.
7. Cory: He wears his hair shaggy, just like the guys in school do. It is soft brown over startling gray eyes. Winter can tell that he holds back a smile of amusement as Winter studies his face. She finds him fascinating. He is Hanah's mate. LIGHTWEAVER
8. Rowen: His striking dark eyes, Curly lashes. They are as dark as Wanda’s. His black hair is long and falls easily over his face, But he would shake it away. His eyebrows are thick. He likes Winter. EARTHSPELL
9. Christopher: Nickname is Kit. His hair is short and spiked at the top. It is a deep golden brown and he has wide aqua eyes. His face, Too, is chiseled. Using his gift during Winter's first rights, he tries to win her over. CHARMER
10. Geothro: Blue his eyes were as blue as the midnight skies. Living sapphires they reminded me (Winter). He doesn't hold any contempt in his pretty eyes, but pure interest as he studies Winter for the first time. His black hair is held back in a long pony. His face is hard and angular, a similitude of the stunning Stronghold features. Fierce earrings pierce both ears. He loves to taunt Winter and feels she should choose him since he's next in line for coven guardianship. MINDSURFER
11………….this person abandoned them for another coven
12………….Natalia’s hubby (and child) lost to Shadoweaver
13. Winter: She faces many insecurites but tries not to show it. Her father was found dead when she was 10 after abandoning the family. She is the oldest of 5--all brothers. She becomes ALLSPELL